.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Antique Black Bike in Kendall

antique bicycleThis bike, spotted in Kendall Square, grabbed my attention by being both old and unfamiliar. It may be that it's a mish-mash of parts from many bikes, but I think you'll agree it's an interesting assemblage. There is a lot of evidence that the bike is Swiss, see what you think.


fender bag on bicycle
This bag is most intriguing to me. I wonder what he keeps in there? I'd never explored the space between my fender and my seat tube, though I think his fender sits further back than mine. You can see a Swiss cross at the top of the license plate.

primitive wheel lock
This is an antique wheel lock, clearly it's of historical interest only as he's using a modern U-lock on the bike.

front of bicycle
The front angle shows what an exotic bike this is on the streets of Cambridge.

bicycle serial number
Here you can see the serial number, up where it's easy to read.

Swiss cross and 1938 mark on bicycle
I thus think that this number indicates the year the bike was made. Note the Swiss cross in the lug.

old bicycle seat
The saddle is old but I've seen them before. The seatpost, however, is new to me. Is that really a seatpost, or did he re-use a stem in an exotic configuration? (yes, the bike behind this one is missing a saddle)