.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Thursday, August 27, 2009

We Like Lugs

I scream, you scream, we all scream for pretty lugs. Maybe if we make enough noise the manufacturers will start making bikes with pretty lugs again.

So to start, I thought I'd show you all up close and personal the lugs on my 1977 Dawes. No doubt some would prefer them repainted, with no rust. Maybe someday I'll do that. For now I'm enjoying the vintage patina and the handmade charm.

Love the openwork on the headtube lugs and the lugged fork crown:

lugged headtube and fork crown Dawes

The seat tube is lugged and features the Dawes fan pattern on the seat stay:

lugged seat tube Dawes

Even the bottom bracket is lugged:

lugged bottom bracket Dawes bike

Of course, I like pretty lugs so much I made sure to buy a road bike with them too! Here's my bike in Dijon, ready to be loaded up for a day of cyclotouring:

Raleigh International chrome lugs
On this bike I also love the chrome tips to the fork and stays, I've mentioned before that I come to cycling from equestrian pursuits and I realize they remind me of traditional dressage wraps...

Here are the lugs which sold me on the "original Rambouillet":

Raleigh International lugs