.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
a
a

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The New Bike

Raleigh Competition frame in black
OK, we own it, I can tell you all about it now.

Riding Pretty, I'm sorry it's not a step-through for the Boston Tweed Ride. That WOULD be exciting! No, it is the bike I promised to build my Dad if he rode his other bike regularly.

Carlton Raleigh CompetitionIt is a Raleigh Competition GS. The seller says it's from the early to mid 1970's, but I'm starting to think it's later, it has more in common with Sheldon's 1979 than his 1976. Anyway, we're certain it was handmade by Carlton from Reynolds 531 Butted Tubes with Campagnolo dropouts and fork ends. It has delicate gold pinstriping around the head tube lugs.

Raleigh Carlton Competition bottom bracketThe Competition was 3rd among the offerings from Raleigh/Carlton, after both the Professional and the International (which I love). This bike is perhaps even nicer than my Dawes townie (I love you that much Dad!). It's certainly in very good shape, particularly the decals and that rich black paint.


Here are the specifics from the seller:

Seat Tube (center to center) .......... 23" (58 cm)
Top Tube (center to center) ........... 56 cm
Wheelbase ............................. 100 cm
BB Height ..............................10 5/8"
Chain Stay Length ..................... 42 cm
BB Threading ........................ English 1.37 x 24
Seat Post Size ........................ 27.2
Rear Spacing .......................... 122 mm
Stand Over Height ..................... 33"
Drop Outs (rear) ....................Campagnolo 1010
Fork Ends (front) .................. Campagnolo

Reynolds 531 Raleigh CompetitionIn many ways this bike will be a group project with friends of this blog. I will use the three-step paint cleaning procedure taught to me here by longtime reader ALF, which is particularly effective on dark paint. I will use the chrome restoration brush technique taught to me by Monotomy Vintage Bicycles. I will use everything I've learned in the last few years, from reading, riding, and volunteering at Bikes Not Bombs, in order to make Dad the best possible bike.

Aside from the technical considerations, there are the aesthetic ones. I'd had a firm plan, but like all early plans this one needs revision. I thought I'd find a lower-quality frame in the first place, and it would be green or aqua, or something that I could turn green or aqua. My father is a life-long surfer and those are his favorite colors. He also has, for his whole life, wanted to own a Woodie. I thought I would get wood fenders and chainguard and so he would finally have his Woodie.

Trouble is, this frame is black and chrome, a little more sophisticated than I had planned. To add to that, I have chrome hammered Honjo fenders that are not being used, and an extra chrome chainguard from France - all just taking up precious space in my apartment. They would look so good with the chrome stays on this bike.

So what do you think readers? Aesthetically, do I build the bike that would tickle my Dad's fancy? Or do I build the best-looking bike for the excellent frame that I have? I will add that the frame is closer to my husband's size than my father's (though Dad is aging and a smaller bike is ok). If we ever found the perfect frame for wood fenders, I imagine the chrome Raleigh could find itself a home...

What would you do?

See Next Installment